New bar stools

I was at Ikea the other night wandering around wishing I could buy everything. And checking out all the new things. (The new 2013 catalog is there if you haven’t gotten it yet)

I wasn’t going to get anything but I can’t leave that store without stopping by the as is section. I’ve been searching for bar stools with backs for a long time now but they were never in the budget. These 2 awesome bar stools were just sitting there waiting for me. They were in perfect condition except one was missing 2 screws. I went to the customer service desk and they gave me the 2 screws so I bought them immediately.

I brought them home and they fit perfect and are so much more comfortable then the wobbly old ones we had.

And the best part is I saved a little over $40 on them since they were discounted.


Chalkboard Pantry

We have tons of Ikea furniture. Sadly a lot of it is the birch color and I hate it. We bought most of it back when Ikea only offered a few colors. This project turned one of those birch pieces into a much better color.

Here’s the before.

Here it is with the door off and all the random holes filled and sanded. This cabinet has been around awhile and used in lots of different places so it needed some love.

After it was all sanded I put two coats or primer on it.

If you have ever tried to paint Ikea furniture before you know paint does not stick but I have read that people had success with sanding and priming. I was a bit skeptical but I figured I would give it a try. And it worked really great! It took a long time but the end result is definitely worth it. No peeling or bubbling of paint.

Then 3 coats of chalk board paint.

Next I peeled off all the tape I put on to keep my lines straight and hung the door back. I found a package of 6 black door handles at Ikea for $2.99. What a deal! (now I just need to find something to do with the rest of them, but it was cheaper to buy 6 then 1.

On the other side I hung a lantern that we recently got on a weekend trip to Cape Cod.

The Chalkboard paint was $10 for a quart at Home Depot. I only used about a quarter of the can so now I have to find more things to paint…

And if you were wondering. Yes there is a lobster and a shark hanging out on top.


I put this project up on the Pinterest Challenge hosted by Sherry of Young House Love and Katie from Bower Power. Check out their blogs. They are awesome!

I pinned a few chalkboard projects but this one is my favorite – photo from here.

that’s a lot of wine

I started this project about a year ago after I finished these tables but it required drinking a lot of wine to finish.

Here’s the supplies.

Another Ikea frame (this time from the AS IS section and cost only $5)

Some wooden legs and corner brackets ( I bought them so long ago I don’t remember what they cost but it wasn’t much)

And lots of corks


First I painted the legs black to match the frame. Then used the corner brackets to attach the legs to the back of the frame.


I cut all the corks in half so I could cover the surface twice as fast.


And here’s the pattern I decided to use.


After adding corks over the last year I finally had enough to fill the top.


Here’s the bottom. It’s not so pretty but no one sees it. You can see how I added nails into the frame to keep the bottom of the frame secure. I put two on each short side and 3 on the longer ones. You can also see the corner brackets. They are just screwed in and then I painted them black but you can’t see them since the frame hangs down and covers them.



And here’s the final table. It’s not made to hold anything very heavy but its perfect for a glass of wine while you watch tv.



Thanks to everyone who helped drink the wine 🙂